While steak on its own is a fine, fine meal, sometimes the salad craving can’t be ignored. This salad was born during a particularly brutal heatwave. The cool mix of vegetables, the light, tangy dressing (which I have also served with a good dash of chipotle), and the well-seasoned steak makes a satisfying meal.
Feel free to add or subtract ingredients based on what is in season. In late summer, I tend to have a lot of zucchini, so grilling it is a natural.
Steak Salad with Green Goddess Dressing
By April 28, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4 - 6 Servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 50 mins
This hearty, yet light, salad is great for dinners or lunches.
- 1 top sirloin steak (if you don't have top sirloin, substitute flank steak or even tri tip)
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- 2 zucchini cut lengthwise in 1/4-inch slices, optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 head romaine lettuce torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 avocado sliced
- 6 radishes sliced, optional
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream or creme fraiche
- 1/4 cup green onions finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste optional
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season the steak with salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature for no more than 30 minutes. Heat your grill to high while the steak is getting up to temperature.
- Brush the zucchini with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Make the dressing: mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Whisk until the dressing is smooth. Adjust seasonings to your taste.
- Grill the steak for approximately 4 minutes per side, or until medium-rare.
- Grill the zucchini alongside the steaks, about 5 minutes — you want grill marks without burning.
- Allow the steak to rest off the grill for about 5 minutes. Use this time to toss the lettuce with half the dressing. Divide among serving plates.
- Slice the zucchini on the diagonal and add to the plates. Divide the avocado and radishes among the plates.
- Slice the steaks on the diagonal into thin strips and add to the plates. Drizzle additional dressing over the salad and serve.