Carrots are the perfect vegetable to star in a salad. Flavor-wise, they can range from savory to sweet. Presentation-wise, they are perfect for every style: long ribbons, pretty julienned batons, shredded, or even cut into simple coins. For this salad, you can julienne the carrots or shred them — your choice (or, you know, do whatever works to get dinner on the table).
About half an hour before assembling the salad, lightly salt the carrots to draw out moisture — this helps keeps your slaw crunchy despite the addition of dressing. Rinse and pat the carrots dry, then toss. The dressing below is Just A Suggestion. Carrots can handle just about anything, and the notes to the recipe include other ideas.
Basic Carrot Slaw
By September 19, 2016Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 30 mins
This gluten-free salad is perfect any time of year...and it's customizable to suit your every mood.
- 4 large carrots grated, use large holes if possible
- 1/2 teasppon salt
- 1/2 cup dried fruit like raisins (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or other light vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the shredded carrots in a colander. Add the salt and mix thoroughly. Set aside for fifteen minutes.
- While the carrots are resting, make the dressing. Whisk the lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and olive oil together until emulsified.
- Rinse the carrots and pat dry. Add to a large bowl and add the raisins and dressing. Toss thoroughly. Taste, and add salt and pepper as necessary. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress