Low-carb, vegetable-based pizza crusts are all the rage, and I enjoy trying new combinations. So far, our household favorite is a crust made from spaghetti squash. The mildly sweet squash is very sturdy, and works well with lots of toppings.
Of course, the crust is gluten free, which makes it that much better.
Note that in the recipe below, I recommend squeezing as much liquid as possible from the squash. Really put some muscle into it as the drier the squash, the better the crust!
Gluten-Free Spaghetti Squash Pizza
By February 20, 2017Published:
- Yield: 1 pizza (3 Servings)
- Prep: 60 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 40 mins
This recipe requires a bit of muscle, but it's worth the effort!
- 1 medium or large spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 - 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper as needed
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Cut your spaghetti squash in half with a large, sharp knife (if it's hard to cut, microwave the whole squash for up to five minutes). Clean out the seeds and stringy guts in the center of squash.
- Brush the cut sides of the squash with olive oil. Place the squash, cut side down, on a baking sheet, and roast until tender. In my oven, this is about 45 minutes. To test if your squash is done, use a fork to scrape the flesh -- if you are able to pull out the spaghetti-like strands of the squash, it's cooked. Keep the oven turned on.
- Remove the squash from the oven. Using a towel to hold the squash, scrape the flesh from the shell onto a clean dish towel. Wrap the towel around the squash and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. There will be a lot.
- Place the drained squash on a cutting board and chop into small pieces. Mix in the egg, the cheeses, and a bit of salt (the cheese has salt already!) and pepper.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and press the squash mixture onto the parchment. You will have a 10- to 12-inch crust. Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, and, using a large cutting board, flip the crust onto the board, then slide it back onto the sheet. Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Top with sauce, cheese, and whatever else you like, and bake until the cheese is bubbly.