There are, by my count, a zillion ways to make this dish, but all are essentially braised chicken with preserved lemons and green olives…and a fantastic sauce to be soaked up by gluten-free pasta or rice. Modify the flavors as your mood strikes, adjusting spices to evoke dishes from Morocco to Spain.
Chicken with Preserved Lemons and Green Olives
By March 9, 2014Published:
- Yield: 4 - 6 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 50 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 5 mins
This great gluten-free dish can go from elegant to rustic, depending on the ingredients you use. If you have your ingredients ready to go ahead of time, it can be put together in an hour for a weeknight meal.
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs substitute legs if you prefer
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 head garlic separated into cloves and peeled
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free all purpose flour or rice flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cinnamon stick optional
- 12 green olives pitted (try to buy from an olive bar rather than jarred)
- 2 preserved lemons cut into small pieces
- buttered pasta or rice for serving
- Pat the chicken dry and season generously with salt and pepper. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil with the butter over medium-high heat in a braising pan or Dutch oven. Working in batches if necessary, add chicken, skin side down, and cook for approximately five minutes, until the skin is brown. Turn and brown the other side of the chicken for no more than five minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and keep warm. If necessary, add more oil to the pan. Add the garlic cloves and saute until golden brown. Pay attention so they don't burn. Remove the garlic from the heat.
- Add the final two tablespoons of butter to the pan and whisk in the all-purpose gluten-free flour. Saute for a few minutes until the roux turns a golden brown. Add the wine and scrape down the pan to incorporate any brown bits. When the wine is reduced to approximately 1/3 cup, add the chicken stock, and garlic back to the pan. Add the cinnamon stick and olives, and bring to a simmer.
- Tuck the chicken into the sauce, skin-side up. Simmer, covered for about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet and sprinkle the preserved lemons over the chicken. Brown the chicken and lemons in the oven for about 25 minutes.
- While the chicken is browning, remove the garlic and olives from the sauce, and reduce until it starts to thicken. Add the olives and garlic back to the sauce for serving.
- Serve over buttery noodles or rice.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress