If there’s one thing I miss about my pre-gluten-free days, it’s going out for Chinese food. Sure, even then, I could make it for myself, but there’s something about the way restaurants prepare the food that had me going back, time and again.
Yeah, that’s generally a solid clue what I ordered wasn’t the most healthy choice on the menu. Except when I ordered beef with broccoli. Done right, it’s a fairly healthy dish. And, it turns out, it’s so easy to make at home.
Which is perfect for those times when I want to treat myself with my favorite food!
Beef with Broccoli
By April 6, 2014Published:
- Yield: 4 - 6 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 25 mins
This popular restaurant dish is super-easy to make at home. Lots of flavor, lots of veggies, and you can have it on the table in less than thirty minutes. Don't like beef? Try it with thinly sliced chicken breast meat instead. Or tofu -- just saute the tofu a bit longer to get it nice and brown before adding the sauce.
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 pound top sirloin steak sliced thinly and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 bunch broccoli cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola or sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free oyster sauce or oyster sauce substitute, see Notes
- 2 teaspoons rice wine see Notes
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Combine the soy sauce, cornstarch, and canola oil in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth. Add the sliced beef, mix well, and set aside for about ten minutes.
- Using your favorite method, steam the broccoli for about 3 - 5 minutes.
- While the broccoli is steaming, mix the oyster sauce, rice wine, and balsamic vinegar together. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over high heat, adding the canola or sesame oil after about a minute. Make sure the entire bottom of the skillet is coated with oil. Add the steak strips and cook for thirty seconds to one minute. Flip the steaks and sear on the other side.
- Add the oyster sauce mixture to the skillet and saute with the steak for a minute. Add the broccoli to the skillet and combine with the steak and sauce.
- Serve with steamed rice.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress