This salad is great for parties, weeknight meals, or hot summer evenings. Buckwheat adds great flavor, especially since it’s dressed in a lemony sauce. I love that the whole thing is on the table in under thirty minutes — while the buckwheat cooks, you can prepare the strawberries.
I make this salad without cheese for a vegan option. If you like cheese — and it will add a salty component to the dish — ricotta is great. Feta works. Even blue cheeses are lovely. I also love to add toasted nuts or seeds, like pumpkin, to the dish for some crunch.
Note: start testing the buckwheat for doneness about twelve minutes into the simmer. You want the grains to be firm, not mushy. That way they hold their shape and add texture to this salad.
Strawberry, Buckwheat, and Kale Salad
By July 5, 2015Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 30 mins
In under thirty minutes, this delicious salad is ready to eat!
- 1 cup uncooked buckwheat
- 1 large lemon zested and juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 - 2 quarts whole strawberries
- 1 large bunch of kale, chopped or chard, if kale is not available
- fresh ricotta optional
- chopped nuts or toasted seeds optional
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the buckwheat, and let simmer for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Make the dressing. Combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and olive oil in a small bowl. Whisk until combined and emulsified. Set aside.
- Hull and halve the strawberries and set aside.
- Place the kale in a large bowl, and pour half the lemon dressing over the kale. Using your hands, massage the dressing into the kale (trust me! this is much better than tossing the salad).
- When the buckwheat is done, drain and toss with the remaining lemon dressing.
- Layer the buckwheat and strawberries over the kale. Add a bit of salt and pepper to the salad. Add dollops of fresh ricotta and the seeds/nuts if using.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress