I admit it: when I went gluten-free, I crossed quesadillas off my list of “love to eats”. I had never, ever seen a quesadilla that didn’t have a wheat flour tortilla involved. Somehow, the whole package — tortillas, cheese, seasonings — seemed like a match made in heaven.
Then I caught myself staring at a package of corn tortillas I had left over from another meal. And I wondered about using corn tortillas in quesadillas. I wondered some more. I plotted my course, and did a little research. Which confirmed what I suspected: corn quesadillas are easy and so tasty.
(Think about it: corn tortillas are generally more flavorful than wheat tortillas, so, of course, they’d make a more delicious quesadilla).
The only trick you need to remember for making these quesadillas is to lightly brush or spray oil onto the quesadilla to help it cook up crisp.
Corn Tortilla Quesadillas
By July 8, 2012Published:
- Yield: 3 quesadillas (3 - 6 Servings)
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 10 each mins
- Ready In: 15 mins
Quesadillas are a quick, easy appetizer -- perfect for an afternoon snack or for surprise guests. Using corn tortillas adds great flavor, and you can customize your quesadilla to suit your mood!
- Heat a skillet or griddle. You want it to be pretty hot so your tortillas get crispy and blistered.
- Lightly spray or brush one side of your tortillas with oil (keep a light hand here). Place one tortilla, oiled side down, on the heated surface. Cover the tortilla with a good layer of cheese — about a 1/4 cup, or to your taste. Top with another tortilla, oiled side on top. The number of quesadillas you make at one time depends on the size of your cooking surface.
- Grill for 3 − 4 minutes. Your bottom tortilla will get crisp, start puffing up, and develop dark brown cooked spots. Your cheese should be getting melty.
- Carefully flip the tortilla and cook the other side until crispy brown. The cheese should be thoroughly melted.
- Serve immediately. Or, if you’re making a larger batch, keep warm in the oven.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress