One thing I don’t love about gluten-free baking is the amount of effort required to “recreate” the properties and flavors of wheat. It is inevitable that I’ll be missing that one obscure gluten-free flour required to make a perfect cookie.
Of course, I always have plenty of rice flour on hand. I use it constantly for various recipes, so when I encountered this cookie recipe featuring rice flour, I was thrilled. I was even more excited by the short list of ingredients. Talk about easy to whip together!
But even better, these are delicious (if a bit crumbly) cookies. I brought them to the office..and they were gobbled up quickly. One co-worker confessed to eating more than a few all by herself. These would be great for afternoon tea, holiday parties, or even as a dessert after a dinner of small plates.
Persian-Style Cardamom Cookies
By December 17, 2014Published:
- Yield: 40 cookies
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 35 mins
When I made these cookies for co-workers, the first reaction was "these aren't gluten free!". The second reaction was "I'm having three more."
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom more or less, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups brown or white rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios or 40 whole pistachios
- Add the butter, sugar, and oil in a mixing bowl. Beat at medium until well-combined.
- Add the egg yolk and cardamom and beat until the mixture is combined; it will be a pale yellow.
- Slowly add the flour to the mixture, beating until combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly oiled surface and divide into two equal sections. Shape each section into a 6-inch log, and wrap each log in plastic wrap. Refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and place two racks in the center of the oven.
- Slice each cookie dough log into approximately 20 disks, and place each cookie approximately 1-inch apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Top each cookie with a whole pistachio or a sprinkling of chopped pistachios.
- Bake at 350 for about 17 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through cooking. The edges will be light brown. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for about five minutes; carefully place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress