Mushroom gravy is a one of those things — it can be vegetarian or meat-based, depending on your mood. It can be smooth or chunky, depending on your mood. I personally love it on the chunky side with meatloaf.
As with all gravies, the key to making a flavorful, richly colored gravy is a roux. And patience. You need to stir your flour and oil over medium-high heat until it is a rich caramel brown. This cooks off the raw taste of the rice flour and adds additional flavor.
[box type=”note” border=”full”]The amount of mushroom and onion in this recipe seems massive. It is! But they will cook down to a reasonable level very quickly. And please note that the rice flour thickens quickly. You may need to add additional liquid to make it pourable![/box]
By April 26, 2013Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
Versatile, gluten-free, and vegetarian...what more can you ask from a gravy recipe?
- 1 onion large, finely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil for sauteeing
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock plus more if needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 - 3 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- In a large skillet, heat the canola oil and saute the onions and mushrooms for about 7 − 10 minutes. The onions should be translucent and the mushrooms should be cooked and reduced.
- In a deep saucepan or large skillet, combine the 1/2 cup of canola oil and the rice flour. Heat over medium-high until the roux (the mixture of oil and flour) is a rich caramel brown, about ten minutes. Do not leave your roux unattended as it goes from lovely brown to burned very quickly!
- When the roux is ready, slowly pour the stock into the pan and mix thoroughly. The gravy will thicken quickly, so if you need more liquid, add it a tablespoon at a time.
- Fold in the mushrooms and onions and let the flavors meld together.
- After about five minutes, taste and adjust seasonings. Add pepper if desired, add salt if desired, add soy sauce to ramp up the flavor. Continue to taste the gravy until you like the flavor.