This versatile recipe is perfect for weeknight suppers. It can be made vegetarian, vegan, or with the meat of your choice. The flavors can be modified to suit your fancy. And it reheats like a dream, making it perfect for lunches.
I love to serve this dish over braised greens — spinach or chard do just fine.
Lentil and Coconut Milk Stew
By February 22, 2016Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 50 mins
This is a versatile weeknight recipe. You can make it simple with just lentils and onions, or you can add vegetables, tofu, or meats to add even more flavor. Seriously: try it diced sweet potatoes!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 white onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 2 - 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1" piece ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 2 cups lentils cooked (see Notes)
- 1 can coconut milk (use as much as you like)
- 1 cup fresh peas
- Heat the oil in skillet until it starts to shimmer. Add the onions and carrots, sauteeing until the carrots are soft. Add the garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes if using, and cook for a minute or two.
- Add the lime zest and cooked lentils. Saute for a minute, then add the coconut milk. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for about ten minutes.
- Toss in the peas right before serving, and taste to adjust the seasoning. You'll note I haven't suggested salt or pepper in this recipe, but if you want to add some, do so after you've let the stew cook a bit. Finally, mix in the reserved lime juice at the last moment.
- Serve over rice or braised greens.