During the summer, it’s natural to throw everything on the grill, and salads are no exception. Sure, you can do fantastic grilled veggie salads tossed with a balsamic vinaigrette. Or you can impress your guests with this unexpected grilled Romaine salad.
Just brush the cut halves of Romaine heads with a bit of olive oil (I have a lemon-flavored oil I use for this) and grill for a few minutes on each side while your meat is resting.
The traditional Caesar dressing can be made in the blender or food processor (or by hand if you’re feeling energetic). Don’t skip the anchovies — they add incredible flavor and nobody (but you) will know they’re there.
If you’re feeling adventurous, try this with Iceberg lettuce to make a very different kind of wedge salad.
Grilled Romaine Halves with Caesar Dressing
By October 6, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4 or more Servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 5 mins
- Ready In: 15 mins
This gluten-free dressing whips up in less than five minutes. The lettuce grills in just about the same amount of time, so you can make this amazing salad while your meat is resting.
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce per person being served
- olive oil for brushing
- 2 teaspoons salt divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 6 - 8 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 anchoy fillets plus a bit of their oil
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup olive oil
- crumbled blue cheese optional
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Cut the Romaine heads in half lengthwise, keeping the core intact to make grilling easier. Brush a bit of olive oil on the cut sides and season lightly with salt.
- Combine the lemon juice, vinegar, capers, the remaining salt, and garlic, and blend until smooth. Add the Worcestershire sauce, anchovies, and 1/2 cup of the olive oil and blend until smooth. Adjust seasonings if necessary and add additional olive oil if needed. Set aside to let the flavors meld.
- Place the Romaine halve cut-side down on the grill and cook for 3 minutes. Turn and cook on the other side for 3 additional minutes. Place on a platter and pour dressing over each serving. Sprinkle with blue cheese if you're using.