First off, this is not an authentic Sinangag. When I discovered this fried rice dish, I also discovered that every household in the Philippines has its own spin on the traditional breakfast dish. Some use garlic and rice only. Some add soy sauce.
Many serve the vinegar sauce on the side only. As I played with variations on the recipe, I felt the rice needed a bit liquid while stir frying. I hit upon this approach after misreading a recipe in Saveur (http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/filipino-garlic-fried-rice-with-vinegar-sauce-sinangag). Adding the sauce to the stir fried rice mellows the vinegar and garlic a bit, while incorporating heat from the red chile flakes.
If you prefer, omit the sauce while stir frying. You’ll still need a good amount of garlic, remembering to reserve some for a crunch topping. It will be delicious either way.
Filipino Garlic Fried Rice with Vinegar Sauce (Sinangag-Style)
By January 11, 2015Published:
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 20 mins
Fast, easy, and, dare I say?, addictive, this gluten-free fried rice recipe is traditionally made for breakfast, but I think it's perfect any time of day!
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 12 - 14 cloves garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 cups cooked rice cold, refrigerated overnight
- 1/4 pound sausage or ground pork mild flavor, browned
- Stir vinegar, chile flakes, 1 tbsp. garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl; set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or skillet over medium-high. Add remaining garlic, and stir fry until just golden, 1–2 minutes. Transfer two tablespoons of the garlic to a plate; set aside.
- Add the rice to wok. Stir Fry, stirring and breaking up any large clumps, until rice is heated through, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage or meat if including
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 the sauce, and mix thoroughly into the rice mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top each bowl of rice with fried or poached eggs and serve reserved sauce on the side.
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
- Course: Breakfast
- Skill Level: Easy
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress