I love leftovers, but sometimes figuring out how to repurpose them is a challenge. Especially when it comes to party leftovers, like, oh, tortilla chips. Oh sure, it’s easy enough eat them in their natural state (and believe me, I do!), but you can only have chips for dinner so often before people start to talk.
Chilaquiles, with or without chicken, are a perfect solution. All you need are gluten-free tortilla chips, salsa, some protein, and a bit of cheese. Or skip the protein. It’s your call. Seriously, this recipe can be modified, reconfigured, or reimagined to suit your every taste and whim.
If you do this right, you are hitting a leftover trifecta: chicken, tortilla chips, and salsa. That’s a win!
By February 25, 2014Published:
- Yield: 2 - 4 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 25 mins
This is a great gluten-free way to use up leftover tortilla chips. It's a perfect breakfast or brunch dish...or a great weeknight dinner!
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cup shredded, cooked chicken (use leftover chicken for this dish)
- 1/2 can black beans optional
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce optional
- 2 cups tomatillo salsa give or take
- 4 cups tortilla chips more or less
- 1 cup baby spinach optional
- 1/2 cup queso fresco grated or crumbled. See Notes for other cheeses
- salsa or sour cream for serving
- Preheat the broiler on your oven.
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof skillet and add the chicken, beans, and chipotle chile, if using. Saute for a minute or so. Add the salsa and cook until the mixture is heated through.
- Add the tortilla chips and stir to coat with the salsa mixture. If using spinach, add this now as well.
- Once the chips are coated in salsa, sprinkle the cheese over the top and put the skillet under the broiler for 5 - 10 minutes. You want the cheese to start melting and the top layer of chips to brown slightly.
- Serve with more salsa or sour cream.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress