There are certain times of year when I crave this salad. Sometimes it’s due to the hot weather and a desire for the cold, crisp crunch of iceberg lettuce. Sometimes it’s because I want to indulge in the absolute creamy, salty flavor of the dressing. Sometimes…it’s both.
I love serving this salad at barbecues because it’s easy to make for a crowd. It’s also the perfect accompaniment to a well-cooked steak. And, of course, the blue cheese dressing can be used on other types of salad.
I know there is some concern in the gluten-free community about whether or not blue cheese is gluten-free. Generally, these cheese are safe to eat. For your information, I discuss this issue and list blue cheeses that are gluten-free here (and a few that are not) here.
Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing
By December 8, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
This recipe is cooling on hot summer nights and soothing for those times when you crave a decadent creamy dressing.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or to taste
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Worcestershire sauce or hot sauce optional
- 1 head iceberg lettuce cut into four wedges
- Mix all the ingredients except the lettuce together in a bowl. Set aside or refrigerate until serving.
- For serving, set the salad wedges on a place and generously drizzle with dressing. Add a dash of freshly ground pepper.