Let’s get this out of the way first: there is no right way to build Huevos Rancheros. There are, of course, a few basic ingredients — corn tortillas, eggs, ranchero sauce and/or salsa, and beans. After that, it’s all about using your imagination. This, I believe, is what makes Huevos Rancheros perfect for a casual breakfast, a slightly more formal brunch, or a weeknight meal.
(I should note I frequently break the tortilla-as-key-ingredient rule, sometimes substituting Black Bean and Quinoa cakes for tortillas. Don’t judge!)
This recipe comes together fast, so I like to have everything set up and ready to go as soon as the eggs are ready.
By June 1, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4 - 6 with leftovers Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- Ready In: 30 mins
Huevos Rancheros make a fantastic gluten-free entree for brunch or dinner!
- 4 corn tortillas or one tortilla per person being served
- 2 tablespoons oil for frying the tortillas
- 4 eggs or one egg per person being served
- 2 tablespoons butter for frying the eggs
- 1 can refried beans warmed (see Notes)
- 1 cup ranchero sauce or red or green salsa
- cheese for sprinkling on top; if you can find queso fresco, it's perfect here
- 1 avocado peeled and sliced
- Set your oven to warm (or 200 degrees) if you are making a large batch of Huevos Rancheros. This keeps the tortillas warm while the eggs are frying.
- Heat the oil in a skillet until shimmering. Working in batches, lightly fry the tortillas, flipping once. You want your tortillas to be a little crispy and puffy from the heat (you’ll get air pockets). Drain on paper towels if necessary. Place in heated oven if you’re making for a crowd.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter until until just foaming. Fry or scramble your eggs — if you’re scrambling, prepared your scrambled eggs in advance. I like fried because the runny yolk adds to the flavor.
- When the eggs are just about done — the whites are set up and the yolks are still runny but starting to cook — start building your Huevos Rancheros.
- Start by spreading a generous spoonful of your beans over a crisped tortilla. Top the beans with a fried or scrambled egg. Spoon sauce or salsa over the eggs. Sprinkle cheese over the eggs. Top with sliced avocado.