I do love my greens, and I love this dish. It can be spicy, warm, tangy, or even creamy. Use lots of greens to make this a full mean for Meatless Monday, or reduce the amounts for a side dish.
While I’ve noted that you can use any type of greens you wish, I find I get the most satisfaction from spinach and chard. They are “wetter”, meaning you don’t need to add a lot of extra liquid while cooking down the greens. Kale and collard greens will need more liquid to braise until suitably tender.
Note: once you’ve made this dish once, you will crave it all the time!
Greens with Baked Eggs
By May 11, 2015Published:
- Yield: 2 - 6 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 35 mins
Fast, easy, and addictive! The gluten-free vegetable dish can be a side dish or full meal.
- 2 bunches chard or other greens
- 2 - 4 eggs
- 1/4 white onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin or to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes to taste, optional
- Roughly chop the greens. Rinse and set aside. Pre
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof skillet. Add the onion and saute until just soft. Add the garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Saute until the cumin is fragrant.
- Add the greens and saute until well-wilted. If necessary, add about two tablespoons of water and cover the pan.
- Once the greens are soft, use the back of a spoon to make indentations in the greens. Carefully crack the eggs into the indentations.
- Place the skillet in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the eggs are set. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and serve.