Coconut rice is a great complement to Thai-inspired dishes. Or spicy dishes. Or, you know, dishes that benefit from rice that is a notch above ordinary (salmon, for example). I find keeping a couple of cans of coconut milk in my pantry at all times is a great idea — it’s surprising how often I need this staple.
By June 2, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4 - 6 with leftovers Servings
- Cook: 20 mins
This flavorful rice is perfect with spicy dishes and fish.
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 can coconut milk full fat or light, your choice
- salt to taste
- Rinse and drain the rice in several washes of water (this removes the starchy coating). Place the rice in a medium saucepan.
- Add the water, coconut milk, and salt (not too much here!). Bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan, lower the heat, and simmer for 15 − 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let stand for at least five minutes, longer if you have time. Serve.